In my quest for a cheaper alternative to the EverDrive-GB X5, I encountered many cheap Chinese clones. I do encourage you to buy an EverDrive if it is possible. If it’s not, and you bought this clone, this article is for you!
This article will contain every bit of information I could gather about this flash cart clone. It is sold on aliexpress under many different names, but they tend to label this clone as “Custom Game Cartridge China Version 700 in 1 EDGB Remix Game card for GB GBC”.
Basic information of the cart
- Clone of an old version of the EverDrive-GB (previous of x5/x7/x10 serie).
- Save game directly on SD card with no need of other manipulation other than the save function of the game you are playing.
- Does not offer save state.
- It runs of OS version 1 from EverDrive-GB and can’t be upgraded to a newer version.
- When a game is loaded in the memory of the flashcart, you can access the game directly from the menu without loading it again by pressing the Start button.
- Don’t have a RTC Clock.
- The art on the cover of the card is from Adventure Island.
- Come with a SD Card full of ROMs.
- The flash cart is a 8GB FAT32-formatted microSD/microSDHC. You can go up to 32GB.
More information about the OS
So as already stated, this clone is based on an old version of the EverDrive-GB and has a slightly modified version 1 OS. This os should never be upgraded because Krikzz, the creator of the original Everdrives has a tendency to brick clone when he releases his upgrades. I would advise everyone that bought this card to leave the firmware alone.
With that out of the way, we can see that the firmware date from 2016 and the Chinese manufacturer modified the OS to replace Krikzz’s name with the name of their company “KY Technology Inc.”.
They explain the simple layout of the buttons in the same menu :
- Start to run last played game
- Select to open option menu
- A to go back
- B to run a game
In-game shortcut :
- Soft Reset combination : A+B+Start+Select
The cartridge is compatible with ROM ONLY, MBC1, MBC2, MBC3 and MBC5 games with ROM sizes up to 8Mbytes. It works with both Game Boy and Game Boy Color games, it also supports additional features available only on certain systems such as The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons/Ages Advance Store on the Game Boy Advance or screen borders on the Super Game Boy. It covers almost the entire spectrum of Game Boy games, its only shortcomings are the lack of an RTC clock, however, this problem can be resolved using patches or Game Genie codes which the cartridge does support natively, as well as the lack of HuC-1, HuC-3 and “Chinese Originals” mappers support, but those are obscure and it is unlikely that you will ever run into a game using them unless you deliberately search for one.
Game Compatibility List
You do not need to swap between the different MBC to play games with this flash cart.
No MBC (ROM Only):
- Dr.Mario PASS
- Motocross Maniacs PASS
- Tasmania Story PASS
- Bomb Jack PASS
- Boxxle 2 PASS
- Bubble Ghost PASS
- FIFA Soccer ’97 PASS
- Metroid II: Return of Samus PASS
- Kirby’s Dreamland 2 PASS
- Warioland: Super Mario Land 3 PASS
- A Boy and his Blob – The Rescue of Princess Blobette PASS
- Donkey Kong Land 3 PASS
- Mega Man V PASS
- Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins PASS
- Duck Tales 2 PASS
- Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters PASS
- Tetris DX PASS
- Final Fantasy Legend PASS
- Final Fantasy Adventure PASS
- Ultima: Runes of Virtue PASS
- Ultima: Runes of Virtue 2 PASS
- Wave Race PASS
- Mystic Quest PASS
- Kirby’s Pinball PASS
- Harvest Moon GB PASS (The sprites which normally help in harvesting when the game is off are not working due to lack of RTC)
- Pokemon: Blue Version PASS
- Pokemon: Crystal Version PASS (Clock does not work without patches)
- The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening DX PASS
- The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons PASS
- Tomb Raider: Curse of the Sword PASS
- Mega Man Xtreme 2 PASS
- Dragon Warrior Monsters PASS
- Dragon Warrior Monsters II: Cobi’s Journey PASS
- Dragon Warrior I & II PASS
- Dragon Warrior III PASS
- Street Fighter Alpha: Warriors’ Dreams PASS
- Shantae PASS
- Mario Golf PASS
- Donkey Kong Country PASS
- Resident Evil Gaiden PASS
- R-Type DX PASS (Starts with a glitched level from R-Type 2, plays normally after a Soft Reset)
- Metal Gear Solid PASS
- Pokemon Trading Card Game PASS
- Pokemon Pinball PASS
- Nanoloop PASS (Saving songs does not work, the original cartridge is unique)
- LSDJ PASS (when using MBC5, LSDJ does not show the SAVE/LOAD function, using the file system requires 128kb RAM and the cartridge only addresses 32kb. When using MBC3, the function does appear, however, does not work due to lack of free space. For now, the only way to “save songs” is to keep separate files for each of the songs, this does work. The .srm save files can be re-named to .sav and the songs can be extracted using an emulator)
- SnakEat PASS
- Apache! PASS
- Jetpak DX PASS
- Back to Earth 3D PASS
Patch Pokemon Crystal for RTC function
You will need :
Run Lunar IPS, click on Apply IPS Patch, select the patch. Then You need to select the ROM.
When Pokemon Crystal will be patched, you just need to go in your PokeGear and use up and down to shift the time. (You can press A to make the time go faster.)
With the Perfect Crystal patch, you can reset the clock on the intro screen. Simply hold down “Down”, “B” and “Select”. No need to enter in a password.